Data Acquisition Assignment links
Jour 772 & 472
· Link: Data Acquisition Assignment requirements for this semester
· Link: Guidelines for making written requests for data in this assignment
· Link: Databases pursued by students in past semesters
· Link: Examples of database documentation
· Examples of student letters requesting databases (note – These are just samples; in your own letters, follow the wording requirements in the set of guidelines above)
o Link: Sample letter 1
o Link: Sample letter 2
· Link: Importing databases files into Access from various text formats
· Lists and discussions of data file types and file extensions
o Link: A tip sheet on file formats prepared by Jeff South at VCU. It was prepared before some of the most recent file types were created, but it is still a useful guide to file types you may encounter when requesting data from government agencies.
o Link: FileInfo.com searchable database of file extensions.
o Link: FILExt.com has a searchable database of file extensions.
o Link: This is another searchable database of file types.
· Link: “The Top 38 Excuses Government Agencies Give …”
· Link: The process of acquiring data in the newsroom
Schedule of presentations: Link